Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A short intro...

My name is Ya'ara, I have recently graduated my MA in Archaeology from Ben Gurion University in Israel, but before and along with my archaeology studies, I fiddled with animation, 3D modeling and game design, planning on combining them in one exciting package.

I am mostly interested in the stories extracted from archaeological and historical remains and how they can be implemented in games. Today, many (if not most) of the archaeological knowledge we have accumulated has been published in such ways that are either not accessible or unappealing to the public. As I see it, the raison d'etre of archaeology, very broadly defined, is to study the past and relay the results to the interested public, and you may be surprised (or not) at the great amount of people who are interested.

In short, the fruit of our labor is knowledge of the past and it should be shared in the most efficient way - games!

The V-Must mobility program offered a perfect opportunity for me to pursue this goal and I am now at the VHLab - The Institute of Technologies Applied to the Cultural Heritage (CNR-Rome), under the supervision  of Sofia Pescarin, as part of a team developing a game which will take the player adventuring through the streets of Medieval and Roman Bologna. The game will be accompanied by an Augmented Reality application for iPhone being developed by the Fraunhofer Institute for computer Graphics Research IGD in Germany.  

No comments:

Post a Comment